Universal Orlando has shared more information on the details and specs on their ride vehicle for the upcoming Reign of Kong attraction.
The expedition vehicle for Skull Island: Reign of Kong measure over 40 feet long and 13 feet high, weighs in at 17 tons and carries up to 72 people. This all-terrain vehicle operates on a completely trackless system, which will be a Universal first.
The front and back axles that support the vehicle’s 45-inch wheels can be steered individually. This lets the vehicle take sharp turns and pull off complicated maneuvers.
At the wheel will be one of five drivers, each with their own story to tell:
- Becky Callahan: The loose-cannon cowgirl who isn’t fazed by the dangers awaiting her on Skull Island.
- Will Denham: The fresh-faced, adventure-seeking younger cousin of famed movie director Carl Denham.
- Jinks Costanza: A hardened New York City ex-con who is wary of the island’s mysteries.
- Kalana: A mystical descendent of the natives who first settled on the island.
- Charles “Doc” Jordan: A PhD student in paleontology who took time off from his studies to explore the world.
No details were shared on how the drivers will be portrayed – whether by live actors or another method.
For a bit more information, you check out Universal’s Behind the Scenes video regarding the vehicle:
In addition, the 2nd episode of their marketing campaign Myth Explorer was released today.